Warning Signs You Could Be Having An Allergic Reaction To A Bee Sting

Bees are amazing to look at, but if you're ever stung by a bee, you will quickly discover that they are a lot more powerful than they look. For people who have an allergic reaction to the bee sting, this fact is especially evident. The problem for some people is that they don't know how to differentiate a regular sting from a sting that has prompted an allergic reaction. To ensure your safety, make sure you know this information.


It's common for a bee sting to produce swelling around the site of the sting, known as localized swelling. What could be troublesome is swelling that occurs away from the sting. For example, if you were stung in your leg, but your arm is swelling, you need to seek medical direction to ensure you're okay.

Trouble Breathing

A clear warning sign after a bee sting is difficulty breathing. If you have an allergy to the venom, your body could go into fighting mode and cause this type of reaction. Even if you just have slight trouble breathing, it is imperative that you be seen by a medical professional in this instance.


Numbness may also be another sign of an allergic reaction to a bee sting. If you could feel intense pain from the sting and then all of the sudden you don't feel anything, this is likely an indication that the area has gone numb. Although you might be happy to no longer feel the pain radiating from the area, numbness could be a precursor to something worse so seek an evaluation.


It's also not unheard of for an individual to have stomach cramps when dealing with an allergic reaction to a bee sting. In terms of allergic reactions, stomach pain may be perceived as a more low-level symptom, but it still does not hurt to have a physician examine you anyway.

Passing Out

Without question anytime a person loses consciousness, this is more than enough reason to be seen by a medical provider, and if someone passes out after an allergic reaction, this visit is even more critical. An allergic reaction can obstruct your airways, accelerate the heart rate and cause other symptoms, which could play a part in the person's loss of consciousness, so don't wait around.

If you suspect you are having an allergic reaction to a bee sting, or if you're not and just concerned, it's always a good idea to seek medical treatment to ensure your health is protected.